Pages

6 September 2012

Week 1

Everyone has asked me to blog about my year (well, hopefully more than a year!) in Milano, so here's my attempt to keep you all happy!

It's only been a week since I arrived but it feels like I've been here for so much longer. Student-style, I've rented a room from a woman who lives about a 10 minute walk from the school, and it's even better because I live with another awesome Canadian girl (because obviously, all Canadians are awesome). Oh, and my roommate can cook. It blows my mind.


Today was day 3 of our Fashion Italian course. Basically, it's 5 hours per day of non-stop Italian, but the best part is that in the morning we chat about the history of Italian Fashion; the afternoon is dedicated to boring stuff like perfecting our grammar. Schools runs 2.5 hours later for the next three Wednesdays, but those evenings will be spent doing things like field trips to Via della Spiga and Rinascente, or watching movies like Valentino: The Last Emperor.

Seriously.


My homework one day was to go to the Armani store and observe the lighting and decor.


I can't make this stuff up.


But, it's not all glitz and glamour, I promise. The first few days I was here were spent hoofing it all over town to try to take care of things like my Stay Permit, Fiscal Code, bank account, and mobile phone. I heard a lot of the following phrases: "No, you have to go there." "You need to do this first." "You need to wait until tomorrow." "We're closing soon so you have to come back another time." "No, you need to go back to where you were earlier today." "Bring 3 photocopies of everything, but we won't actually look at them or use them." "Dance, monkey, dance." (Ok that last one may or may not be real...)


The past couple of days have been pretty productive though, so hopefully all of the paperwork will be taken care of soon and I can just settle down in to life as a fashion student in Milano.


Miss you all. Please come visit! :)


Oh, and please bring the Vancouver weather with you. This humidity is driving me (and my hair) crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment